The holidays can be
very hard on your kitchen, and your appliances may be feeling a bit
So January is a great time to "detox" your kitchen, and here is a handy checklist that you can use to get your kitchen appliances back in shape.
KITCHEN APPLIANCE ROUTINE CARE CHECKLIST
(click on the blue headings below for additional how-to information)
- Vacuum condenser coils
- Clean drain hole and drip pan
- Clean and check door gasket
- Clean/defrost inside of refrigerator
- De-frost/clean freezer and ice-maker
- Check inside temperature
- Change water filter (if applicable)
- Adjust front support feet
- Clean range hood, filter, and fan
- Clean reflector bowls
- Clean control knobs
- Clean burners (gas models)
- Clean gas grates (gas models)
(helpful accessory: cooktop cleaner)
- Clean inside cavity with mild detergent and water
- Clean around the door and door seal, and make sure door closes tightly.
- If your unit has a turntable, then be sure to clean underneath it.
- To remove odors, boil a solution of a cup of water and several tablespoons of lemon juice in the microwave for 5-7 minutes.
- Clean grease and dust from around the air vents.
- Check inside light bulb, clean or replace as necessary (helpful accessory: microwave oven light bulb).
- Treat your dishwasher for scale build-up
- Clean filter and trap
- Clear spray arm holes
- Clear the "air trap"
- Check and tighten any loose water hose clamps.
- Check the door seal gasket for any cracks or leaks.
- Check the pre-heating mechanism
(helpful accessory: dishwasher cleaner)
Oven cleaning procedures and maintenance vary significantly by the type of oven (e.g. "self-cleaning, "continuous cleaning", and "conventional") and you should consult your manufacturer's recommendations for the specific procedures for your particular model.
- Clean your disposal by grinding up ice cubes
- Check under sink for any signs of leaking
- Defrost the freezer
- Vacuum dust off the condenser coils
- Ensure that the magnetic door seal on the unit closes tightly
- Clean inside the compactor bin
- Check for signs of corrosion